Aboriginal Studies Press
AIATSIS Map Indigenous Australia A0 Fold
This large scale map is a perfect take-home product for tourists and anyone interested in the diversity of Australia's First Nations peoples.
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Australia is made up of many different and distinct groups, each with their own culture, customs, language and laws.
This map represents the general locations of these groups and their languages and more; but not exact or fixed boundaries. It serves as a reminder of the richness and diversity of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Australia.
It was created in 1996 as part of the Encyclopaedia of Aboriginal Australia and some of the information shown on the map remains contested today.
Explore this map and learn about the alternative spellings of names; and also the online interactive map and language databases on the AIATSIS website.
- AIATSIS care for a growing collection of more than 1 million items encompassing films, photographs, audio recordings, art and objects, printed and other resource materials.
- AIATSIS conducts research to the highest ethical standards, directly benefiting the communities we work with.
- AIATSIS publishes award-winning books and content that engages people with the story of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Australia.
- AIATSIS partnerships span the globe, including government, academic, corporate, cultural and community sectors.
- AIATSIS's unique and dynamic convergence of knowledge, resources and expertise enable us to tell the nation's story and enhance the lives of all Australians.
AIATSIS , David R Horton editor
Published January 1996
841 mm x 1189 mm