Film Art Media
Harry Seidler: Modernist DVD
The first documentary retrospective of Harry Seidler’s architectural legacy, Harry Seidler: Modernist reveals an intimate portrait of his extraordinary life and internationally recognised work.
Seidler is acclaimed as one of the greatest modernist architects. He won every architectural major prize in Australia, is represented in every major city, and was embraced internationally by the likes of Norman Foster (the London Gherkin) and Renzo Piano & Richard Rogers (Pompidou Centre, Paris). During a career that spanned almost sixty years he worked in New York, Paris, China, and Mexico, reshaped Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth and Vienna and prompted architects and artists from all over the world to look to his work as an inspiration.
Seidler typified the practice of mid-century modernism in Australia more than any other. From the moment he arrived in Sydney his private homes were in demand and his uniquely stylised and innovatively engineered tower blocks came to dominate the skyline. International buildings include the Australian Embassy in Paris and the Wohnpark Neue Donau in Vienna. This documentary will deliver an exhilarating retrospective of Seidler’s architectural vision.
- Duration: 58 mins
- DVD Region Code: Region 4
- Director: Daryl Dellora
- Producers: Charlotte Seymour & Sue Maslin
- Writers: Daryl Dellora with Ian Wansbrough
- Narration: Marta Dusseldorp
- Editor: Mark Atkin
- Original Music: John Phillips
- Developed with the assistance of Screen NSW & Film Victoria
- Produced with the assistance of Screen Australia & Film Victoria
- Produced with the assistance of the Australian Broadcasting Corporation
Includes interviews with (in order of appearance):
Dr. Johannes Swoboda
Lord Norman Foster
Lord Richard Rogers
Dr. Elizabeth Farrelly
Prof. Philip Goad